Everyone remembers the Rubik’s Cube, that frustrating cube of plastic that drove every kid insane until they either tore it apart or peeled off the stickers and rearranged them in a faux solution to impress their friends. Well the Rubik’s Cube has nothing on the Magic Cube.
The Magic Cube uses the same mechanics as the Rubik’s Cube, except that the faces are the same color and there are numbers placed in each square. The user is asked to solve a mathematical sequence instead of matching face colors.
The sequences are:
- Prime Number Series – A prime number is a whole number that is greater than one and has exactly two factors: 1 and itself. These are the first 9 prime numbers in an infinite series.
- Fibonacci Series – To obtain each number of the series, you simple add the two numbers that came before it. Each number in the series is the sum of the two numbers preceding it.
- Triangle Series – This exponentially expanding set of numbers is generated from a pattern of dots which form an equilateral triangle. By adding another row of dots you can find the next number of the sequence.
- Magic Square – A magic square is an arrangement of numbers in a square grid, where the numbers in each row, column, and diagonal add up to 15.
- Digits of Pi – Pi is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter.
- Digits of E – Euler’s number is a mathematical constant, an irrational number, and one of the most important numbers in mathematics.
Here’s the kicker. This type of puzzle presents 3000 more combinations than the original Rubik’s Cube . . . or 140 x 10^21 combinations! If you think the original cube was frustrating, prepare for your brain to explode. In fact, the creators believe the puzzle is so hard that they will supply software that will provide all the moves required to solve a cube from any starting position that you key in to the software.
The Magic Cube is not available yet. But if you’d like one head over to their Kickstarter page and become a backer. You can also get a version that is wood, or even anodized aluminum.